Top Colonoscopy Specialist in Lake Success, NY
Our experienced team of board-certified gastroenterologists at Digestive Disease Care (DDC) is prepared to provide you with the highest level of care. For more information, contact us today or schedule an appointment online. We are conveniently located at 1991 Marcus Ave Suite M200, Lake Success, NY 11042.
Table of Contents:
What not to do after a colonoscopy?
What is the fastest way to recover from a colonoscopy?
What do I need to do before a colonoscopy?
How is a colonoscopy performed?
Where to find a board-certified gastroenterologist in Lake Success NY for a colonoscopy?
After your colonoscopy, it’s crucial to take proper care to ensure your comfort. Some of the key things to avoid include:
• Driving – Due to the sedation used during the procedure, it’s unsafe to operate a vehicle afterward. It’s best to arrange for a loved one to drive you home.
• Heavy meals – Stick to light, easily digestible foods and clear liquids for the remainder of the day, as heavy or spicy meals can irritate your digestive system. It’s also recommended to avoid gas-stimulating foods like beans and carbonated beverages.
• Strenuous activities – It’s highly urged you rest for the remainder of the day and avoid strenuous activities. It’s common for the sedation to leave patients feeling groggy or unsteady.
• Alcohol and recreational drugs – It’s best to avoid consuming alcohol or using recreational drugs for at least 24 hours, as they can interact with the anesthesia and medications you receive during the procedure.
Recovering swiftly and comfortably from a colonoscopy involves several key steps:
• Rest – To allow your body to recuperate, you should rest for the remainder of the day and minimize physical exertion.
• Hydrate – It’s best to rehydrate with clear fluids like water, herbal tea, or clear broths while avoiding alcohol and caffeine.
• Eat mild foods – It’s crucial to start with light, easily digestible foods and gradually reintroduce your regular diet.
• Attend follow-up – Attend your scheduled follow-up appointments to discuss your results and treatment options with the specialist.
Before your colonoscopy, it’s necessary to:
• Stick to a clear liquid diet – You’ll need to adhere to a clear liquid diet one to two days before your procedure. This includes broth, water, clear juices, and Jell-o.
• Fast – Follow the fasting guidelines provided by your healthcare team. You’ll likely need to stop eating solid food the night before your colonoscopy.
• Medication adjustments – If the doctor has let you know about any necessary adjustments to your medications, especially blood thinners, it’s very important to make them before your procedure.
• Bowel prep – The doctor will prescribe a bowel prep solution to clean your colon thoroughly.
• Arrangements – It’s important to ensure you have someone to drive you home after the procedure, as the sedatives used will impair your ability to operate a vehicle safely.
During a colonoscopy, a gastroenterologist examines the inside of your colon, also known as the large intestine, and rectum using a long, flexible tube with a camera and light source called a colonoscope. Before your procedure, you’ll receive detailed instructions on how to prepare, which will include a clear liquid diet and a bowel-cleansing regimen to empty your colon.
When you arrive for the procedure, you’ll be given sedation or anesthesia to ensure your comfort and relaxation. While you’re sedated, the colonoscope is gently inserted through your rectum and advanced along your colon. The camera on the end of the scope transmits real-time images to a monitor.
The doctor will carefully examine the entire length of your colon, checking for abnormalities, such as polyps, inflammation, or signs of cancer. If any suspicious areas or polyps are found, the doctor can take biopsies or remove them for further examination. After the examination, the scope is slowly withdrawn. You’ll be monitored in a recovery area until the sedation wears off.
If you’re seeking a board-certified gastroenterologist in Lake Success, New York, look no further than Digestive Disease Care (DDC). Our clinic boasts a reputable team of experienced and certified gastroenterologists who are dedicated to providing top-notch care.
Choosing Digestive Disease Care (DDC) ensures that you receive the highest standard of care for conditions related to the digestive system. With our expertise, state-of-the-art technology, and patient-centered approach, you can rest assured that your gastrointestinal health is in capable hands. We have convenient locations to serve you in Lake Success NY, Forest Hills NY, Jericho NY, Jamaica NY, Melville NY, New Hyde Park NY, Mineola NY, Babylon NY, East Setauket NY, Massapequa NY, and BEYOND.
Additional Services You May Like
Additional Services You May Like
- Abdominal Pain
- Acid Reflux
- Barretts Esophagus
- Bloated Stomach
- Capsule Endoscopy
- Celiac Disease
- Colon Cancer Screening
- Crohns Disease
- Esophageal PH Monitoring
- Fatty Liver
- Gastric Chest Pain
- Gluten Intolerance
- Hemorrhoid Banding
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Lactose Intolerance
- Rectal Bleeding
- Ulcerative Colitis
- Urgent Care