Board-Certified Gastroenterologist Serving New York Community, NYC
When you are experiencing gastrointestinal issues from, GERD/acid reflux to Crohn’s disease, among others, visit Digestive Disease Care (DDC) to get specialized and expert care from a team of board-certified gastroenterologists. We provide a variety of treatments to improve the outcome of your health. For more information, please contact us or request an appointment online. We have convenient locations to serve you in Babylon NY, East Setauket NY, Forest Hills NY, Jamaica NY, Jericho NY, Lake Success NY, Melville NY, Mineola NY, Massapequa NY and New Hyde Park NY.
Table of Contents:
Gastroenterologists are specialists in the area of medicine known as gastroenterology, which is the branch of medicine that focuses on the digestive system, or the gastrointestinal (GI) tract. They treat diseases and conditions ranging from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) to hepatitis C.
Primarily, to help with diagnosis and treatment, gastroenterologists perform endoscopic procedures – which use specialized instruments, usually equipped with a camera, to view the GI tract in real-time. Usually, they do not perform surgical procedures, although they may work with a surgeon who specializes in the GI tract and is usually found in either clinical or hospital settings.
While gastroenterology is a specialized field of medicine, the field can be further divided up, with some practitioners treating general diseases that affect the GI tract, while others may take a more specialized route. Some of the potential areas that a gastroenterologist may choose to specialize in include:
• Hepatology, which focuses on diseases of the liver, gallbladder, biliary tree, and pancreas
• Pancreatic disease(s)
• Inflammatory bowel disease, or a chronic inflammation of the digestive tract
• Gastrointestinal cancer
• Endoscopic surveillance
• Reflux esophagitis
If you are experiencing symptoms which may include abnormal bowel movements, rectal bleeding, frequent heartburn, abdominal pain or bloating, or are having trouble swallowing, then your primary care provider may refer or recommend that you see a gastroenterologist. Additionally, it is recommended that you see one regularly if you are old enough to be at risk for colorectal cancer, so that you may screened for the disease.
However, there are six major signs that indicate that you should consider scheduling an appointment or consultation with a gastroenterologist. They are listed below.
• If you experience abnormal bowel movements, such as constipation – where you pass fewer than three bowel movements a week – or if you have diarrhea that persists for more than a few days, it could be indicative of an underlying condition and a gastroenterologist can help with finding a cause and recommending or prescribing treatment options.
• If you experience rectal bleeding, this could be a sign of a number of conditions, ranging from an anal fissure to hemorrhoids, or potentially cancer.
• If you experience frequent heartburn or acid reflux, you may potentially have a condition known as Gastroesophageal Reflex Disease, or GERD, which will need to be diagnosed and treated.
• If you are over the age of fifty, you should be regularly screened for colorectal cancer.
• If you experience abdominal pain and bloating after nearly every meal or if it is accompanied by nausea or painful bowel movements, you should inform your physician who will likely then refer you to see a gastroenterologist.
• If you experience frequent esophageal pain or have difficulty swallowing on a regular basis – or if the pain or difficulty intensifies over time – you should see a gastroenterologist, who can perform a procedure known as an upper endoscopy to determine what the cause is and then administer proper treatment.
If you are in need of a gastroenterologist, either for pre-existing conditions or because you are in need of diagnosis for a GI tract issue, then our board-certified gastroenterologists at Digestive Disease Care are here to help you. Please call for more information or visit our website online to book your appointment. We have convenient locations to serve you in Babylon NY, East Setauket NY, Forest Hills NY, Jamaica NY, Jericho NY, Lake Success NY, Melville NY, Mineola NY, Massapequa NY and New Hyde Park NY, and BEYOND.
Additional Services You May Like
Additional Services You May Like
- Abdominal Pain
- Acid Reflux
- Barretts Esophagus
- Bloated Stomach
- Capsule Endoscopy
- Celiac Disease
- Colon Cancer Screening
- Crohns Disease
- Esophageal PH Monitoring
- Fatty Liver
- Gastric Chest Pain
- Gluten Intolerance
- Hemorrhoid Banding
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Lactose Intolerance
- Rectal Bleeding
- Ulcerative Colitis
- Urgent Care